Get Proper Sleep!
Early to Bed Early to Rise Makes A Man Healthy, Wealthy, and Wise -Benjamin Franklin
Sleep is the thing that will keep us going. Did you know that is the time your body takes to repair at the cellular level? It is not an optional item on our "to do" list. It is essential! According to a 2009 study by the National Sleep Foundation:
People who are sleep deprived report the following problems (versus well rested individuals):
- Compared to their better sleeping counterparts, these people are more likely to report being unable to do the following because they are too sleepy:
- Work well and efficiently (25% vs. 9%)
- Exercise (30% vs. 10%)
- Eat healthy (22% vs. 6%)
- Engage in leisure activities (28% vs. 10%)
- They are more than twice as likely to miss family events, leisure activities or work functions due to sleepiness or a sleep problem (24% one or more times in the past three months vs. 11%).
- They are almost twice as likely than their counterparts to engage in the following unhealthy behaviors to help them get through the day when sleepy:
- Eat foods high in sugar or carbohydrates (21% very likely vs. 11%)
- Smoke a cigarette or use tobacco (18% very likely vs. 10%)
We've all seen statistics like this, but it really it boils down to this: PRIORITY! Do you love yourself, your body, and your health enough to give your body what it needs- SLEEP? Sleep is more than just getting rested it affects eating habits, weight gain, work, exercise, involvement in family events. (All vital things if life change is important to you.)
So this week, as the holiday rush begins, take some time to rest and let your body restore itself. Love yourself enough to let your body recover from the stress you put yourself through every day of the week. You will gain an amazing edge mentally, physically, and emotionally, the edge that far too few Americans have anymore- the edge of being well rested!